HARLEM SOLICITORS is nothing, and it is everything.
HARLEM SOLICITORS is nothing without the Principal Partner/CEO and other members of the legal team whose relentless ardour, Spartan discipline and quiet efficiency continue to chart a good course for the law firm. HARLEM SOLICITORS is everything with the volumes of hardwork and keen insight of the support staff.
HARLEM SOLICITORS welcomes on board diverse lawyers with a broad range of interests and experience who wish to identify with our highly skilled lawyers and professionals in their implacable commitment to providing cutting-edge, razor-sharp and practical legal solutions for clients, comprising emerging and privately owned businesses, public entities, and individuals.
A career at HARLEM SOLICITORS is serious business. We are desirous of engaging team-spirited attorneys and staff members with a burning penchant for a career in a fast-paced, teamwork-focused environment. When meeting potential candidates for the first time, we look not only for candidates who possess a strong academic record and proven legal skills, but also for individuals motivated by a work ethic that places service to clients and colleagues as sine qua non.
At HARLEM SOLICITORS, we are not only irrevocably committed to the practice of law, we are doubly interested in building an enduring platform where each team member can grow professionally and personally. Buoyed with keen insight, we strive to hire only the most talented individuals—those who are desirous of working on interesting and dynamic legal matters in a friendly and collegial environment.
Please send your CV, Cover Letter and a recent professional passport photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that only passports taken within the past 2 months, showing current appearance (which must be formal and professional), must be sent.
Internship Program: Why Intern At HARLEM?
At HARLEM, we commenced the experiential learning program, internship and externship, in line with our Firm’s Pro Bono & CSR Initiatives. We believe that the competition in the labour market is fierce. We also believe that every serious-minded student requires an experience to gain experience and that a practical work background carries a major significance when attempting to enter the already saturated labour market.
This is one of the reasons why our practice model has integrated the experiential learning program via the paid internship and externship which doubtless has been ratified by great demonstrations of popular enthusiasm, as law graduates and undergraduates keen on learning continue to apply in droves, harnessing the opportunity we provide to graduates and undergraduates to work for monthly stipends for a period of time.
Unlike conventional employment, our internship and externship have an emphasis on training and it is usually a period of practical experience valuable to law graduates waiting for the Law School as a means to allowing them experience how their studies are applied in the “real world”. Also, we receive law undergraduates from various universities who come to our firm for periods of externship or to make inquiries, receive enlightenment on the legal career and conduct research to further aspects of their studies.
All told, the inevitable result of our internship and externship programs has been one which helps the participants to gain exposure to real-world problems and issues, ease transition from being a student to entering the job market, grow personally in the context of their career and personal goals as well as develop new skills and knowledge to enable them scale and measure better as Law undergrads and graduates, putting them on a better turf/podium and ensuring that they exceed far above their contemporaries. We make sure we entrust each intern with adequate responsibilities, opportunities and the leverage to grow. Our interns also have direct interface with the Principal Partner/CEO to build their confidence for potential full-time employment in the future.
We at HARLEM are enthused by the opportunity and platform we provide for these brilliant, young minds. That is the premise of the belief we nurture, and our justification for striving harder.
HARLEM Internship Categories
The Undergraduate Internship program is for candidates currently running a university Law degree. However, the prospective intern must have completed at least 200Level (not below Second Class Upper division) in the University and must possess an outstanding interim academic record and a keen interest in our Firm’s practice areas, particularly Corporate/Commercial and Telecommunications Law. Competitive and attractive monthly stipend is paid to successful candidates. Considerations may also be given to smart, intelligent candidates BELOW Second Class Upper.
Pre-Law School/Pre-NYSC Internship
This Pre-Law School program is open to law graduates awaiting Law School and seeking work experience in the interim. We put emphasis on First Class or Second Class Upper, with an interest in our Firm’s practice areas, particularly Corporate/Commercial and Telecommunications Law. Competitive and attractive monthly stipend is paid to successful candidates. Considerations may also be given to smart, intelligent candidates BELOW Second Class Upper.
The Pre-NYSC program is aimed at graduate level students, seeking an interim work experience, during the pendency of NYSC deployment. Again, only candidates on First Class or Second Class Upper are recruited, and they must also have an interest in our Firm’s practice areas, particularly Corporate/Commercial and Telecommunications Law. Competitive and attractive monthly stipend is paid to successful candidates.
HARLEM Internship Program Eligibility Criteria
Cutting across all forms of internship is the requirement that applicants must be organized, self-motivated and reliable with a razor-sharp ability to communicate. Applicants must also be cultural-fit into HARLEM’s practices and procedures, with a strong computer/web literacy.
Taken as a whole, applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for internship in HARLEM:
- Be University students, aged between eighteen (18) to thirty (30) years;
- Be willing to provide a letter from their school confirming their studentship (for undergraduates). Note that we do not usually request for this except in extreme cases;
- Possess credit in a minimum of 5 subjects (SSCE/equivalent) including Mathematics and English at one sitting (for undergraduates).
- Ability to use office-related software (MS Office), including e-mail outlook for official correspondence.
- Be fluent in English Language (both written and spoken) and team-spirited.
Note that all eligible interns will be responsible for their transport fare to and from the office for the duration of their internship but they shall be paid competitive and attractive monthly stipends.
HARLEM Internship Program Application Procedure
Internship applicants are requested to send their applications to email@example.com, attaching:
- A comprehensive CV (indicating your current CGPA) and a cover letter.
- Copy of the latest Degree or equivalent (in case of Pre-Law School/NYSC) or any evidence showing completion of Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) programme.
- A recommendation letter from applicant’s course adviser, head lecturer, Professor or the academic institution they are currently attending (for undergraduates). Note that we do not usually request for this except in extreme cases;
- Soft copy of recent, professional passport photograph of the applicant. Note that only passports taken within the past 2 months, showing current appearance (which must be formal and professional) must be sent.
The applicants are usually contacted in less than 24 hours. Please note that only complete applications will be processed.
HARLEM Internship Program: Terms and Conditions
The duration of HARLEM Internship Program shall not be less than one calendar month (5 weeks) and not more than three months with a possibility of extension for a further period and renewable at the instance of the Firm and subject to availability of space.
Before You Join HARLEM, Anything Else?
Yes, all prospective candidates are to note the following six (6) points about HARLEM Internship Program:
- Successful completion of HARLEM paid Internship Program also guarantees CSR payment of monthly stipends during the first 3 months of the Intern’s Law School Programme (to help the beneficiaries stabilize financially and have a ‘soft landing’ at Law School);
- Aside from the competitive monthly paid to each successful participants, cash awards are also given in these following categories: ‘Most Outstanding Intern’, ‘Best Video Lecturer’ and ‘Most Culture-Fit Intern’
- Our Firm maintains a corporate/formal environment and all interns must also dress professionally, decently and in a business-like manner. Casual wears are, however, permitted on Fridays;
- Use of WhatsApp other than for business purposes is not allowed during official hours except during lunch break;
- HARLEM‘s policies and procedures frown upon late arrival at work, poor time-management and lack of ability to meet deadlines;
- Interns are subject to all the practices, policies and procedures in force as contained in HARLEM Employee Handbook, including our Firm’s email and internet policies;
- HARLEM Internship Program provides an excellent, disciplined training ground only in our Firm’s areas of practice, with a strong emphasis on Telecommunications Law; and
- HARLEM is a friendly but demanding work environment where all team members (including the Principal Partner/CEO) are on a first-name basis, regardless of age or position. We operate an open-door work ethics.
Lastly, to get to know our former interns and what they have to say about HARLEM, see HERE.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)